Many of my clients ask me questions about food prep, and baked chicken is a staple in most healthy diets, so I’m embarrassed it’s taken me this long to finally post a helpful recipe! I have to admit, I have gotten better at preparing this lean protein… I recall a friend feeling sorry for how I ‘had to eat’ after watching me pull bland chicken out of the oven one afternoon. There were many years when I made dry chicken more appetizing by adding mustard… but now I know that baked chicken doesn’t need sugary sauces to be moist and delicious!
I hope you find my post helpful, and please ask you to comment below if you do try it – good or bad, I appreciate the feedback!
Healthy Baked Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp salt or kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper optional
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder optional
- 1/2 tsp onion powder optional
- 1/2 tsp cilantro, chili powder or paprika optional
- Preheat oven to 425-450 degrees. (Cooking chicken at higher temperature prevents it from drying out - bleech!)
- Pound chicken breasts lightly so they are of even thickness, to tenderize meat and cook chicken more evenly. (Best method to pound chicken while keeping a clean kitchen, put chicken breasts in a sealed plastic bag or between two pieces of parchment paper.)
- Rub chicken all over with coconut oil.
- Whisky together seasoning and pat all over the chicken. (Flavour choices are listed in ingredients, or you can try another combination of spices you enjoy!)
- Grease 13x9 inch (glass) baking dish with oil. Place the chicken breasts in, alternating their directions to snugly fit 4 pieces side by side. (Try not to overlap the meat.)
- Roast in the oven at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes, depending upon thickness of the breasts. (General cooking guidelines: 6 ounce breasts: 15 minutes; 8 ounce breasts: 18 minutes; 12 ounce breasts: 25 minutes)
- Turn on the broiler for the final few minutes of cooking time to boost presentation and give your chicken some colour.
- Once chicken reaches 165 degrees F (the optimal temperature), remove from the oven, cover with tin foil and allow the chicken 10 minutes to rest before serving.
- Serve hot or store for up to 4 days in the fridge - perfect for food prepping! These protein-packed snacks are easy to put on top of a salad, or alongside numerous side dishes. You can also freeze them in an airtight container for use within 6 months.